Gaza-based spokesman for Hamas, Fawzi Barhoum, said there was "no possibility" of renewing the truce.
"We at Hamas have the right to respond to any Zionist aggression against the Palestinian people. It's a national duty," he said.
Speaking to Israel's Haaretz newspaper, Defence Minister Ehud Barak said the ceasefire had been beneficial.
"Of course the tahadiyeh (calm) was not a mistake," he told Haaretz.
"If the quiet continues, there will be quiet. If the calm breaks, we will operate."
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Hamas Decides to Renew Attacks on Civilians
Hamas has calmly decided shooting indiscriminately at civilians in the hope of killing them is better than seeking a policy that would benefit the citizens they rule.